Sunday, 21 January 2018
Items filtered by date: July 2017

Manchester City and Super Eagles striker Kelechi Iheanacho is close to making move worth £25 million (about N1.25 billion) to former English Premier League champions Leicester City.

According to media reports on Thursday, the 20-year-old is in advanced talks with the Foxes and is thought to be well interested in making the switch.

Iheanacho, who has been very impressive for the Super Eagles and since making his debut for Manchester City in 2015, has scored 21 goals in 64 games in all competitions.

He signed a new contract last August, which is to end in 2021, but saw his playing time limited by the arrival in January of Brazil forward Gabriel Jesus.

Published in Business and Economy

Manchester United are keen to negotiate a deal to take Wayne Rooney to Everton that does not involve the former England captain as a makeweight in the £75 million transfer of Romelu Lukaku, sources have told ESPN FC.

Rooney, who became football's most expensive teenager when he left Goodison Park for United in a £27m deal in 2004, is expected to remain behind in England to finalise a return to Everton when Jose Mourinho's squad fly to California on Sunday for their preseason preparations.

Sources have told ESPN FC that United's initial efforts to sign Lukaku involved Rooney in order to tempt Everton into a deal. But with United now agreeing a fee for Lukaku, the two clubs are attempting to strike a separate deal.

With Rooney winning every major club honour at least once with United during his 13-year spell at Old Trafford, as well as breaking Sir Bobby Charlton's all-time goal-scoring record, the 31-year-old has secured his status as a club legend.

And there is a determination within United that Rooney's exit should not be overshadowed by the big-money arrival of Lukaku.

Rooney rejected the chance to negotiate a lucrative move to China in February, insisting that he wanted to remain at United to help the club achieve its ambitions under Mourinho.

United ended the campaign with two major trophies -- the EFL Cup and Europa League, and returned to the Champions League as a result of their success in defeating Ajax in Stockholm.

Rooney admitted after the game that he had "more or less" made his mind up about his next move, with a return to Everton the favoured option should the club formalise their interest in re-signing him.

Talks have progressed well this week between United, Everton and Rooney's camp, but while there is hope at Old Trafford that the Lukaku move may be completed by the weekend, a deal for Rooney could take longer.

Published in Sports

Manchester United are increasingly confident of completing the £75m signing of Romelu Lukaku in time for the Everton forward to link up with Jose Mourinho's squad in Los Angeles on Sunday, sources have told ESPN FC.

Despite Everton sources claiming to ESPN FC on Thursday that no deal had been agreed with United for the Belgium international -- raising Chelsea's hopes of beating United to the 24-year-old -- senior figures at Old Trafford believe that the player is now on course to join United.

Plans have been made by United for Lukaku to undergo a medical in Los Angeles, where he is spending his summer vacation, and the formalities could be completed by Friday afternoon, enabling a deal to be sealed before Mourinho's tour squad jets out of Manchester for California on Sunday.

Wayne Rooney, meanwhile, is expected to stay behind in order to complete a return to Everton after being given permission by United to negotiate a move back to Goodison Park, 13 years after leaving the club for Old Trafford.

Mourinho's team had been led to believe Lukaku favoured a return to Chelsea and that a deal to take the Belgian back to Stamford Bridge had, at one stage, been close.

The club had also baulked at Everton's valuation of £100m and were convinced Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata would cost significantly less.

However, reaching an agreement with Real Madrid for Morata has proved more difficult than originally thought with the Spanish side holding out for close to £80 million.

The United manager knows Lukaku from his time in charge at Chelsea. It was Mourinho who sanctioned Lukaku's sale to Everton in 2014.

The 24-year-old has become one of the Premier League's most prolific strikers in his three seasons at Goodison Park, scoring 71 goals in 133 games.

Everton were desperate to keep their main goal scorer, especially after spending close to £100 million this summer to help Ronald Koeman's side break into the top four.

However, Lukaku has made no secret of his desire to play in the Champions League.

Published in Sports

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on Thursday arraigned two suspects – Ejere Chris and Edoma Omagha  before Justice A. M. Nicol-Clay of the Lagos State High Court, Igbosere, on 10 charges bordering on conspiracy and forgery to the tune of N7.3bn.

The accused persons were charged alongside Kehinde Ogbor, Danium Energy Services Limited, Sibet Oil Services Limited, Loveth Ogbor and Rhombi Energy limited, who are all at large.

The EFCC said in a statement by its spokesman, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren, that Danium Energy Services Limited allegedly approached the petitioner, Fidelity Bank Plc, between January 17 and February 9, 2017, to finance three different purchase orders for the sale of Automotive Gas Oil (diesel) to Total Nigeria Plc.

Thereafter, the bank allegedly financed two of the purchase orders to the tune of N7.3bn, after due confirmation from Total Nigeria Plc.

The products were allegedly supplied by Sibet Oil Services Limited and Rhombi Energy Limited and discharged at the Ibeto Tank Farm, Apapa.

The bank was said to have engaged an independent surveyor, International Logistics and Fulfilment Services Limited, which confirmed the existence of the products at the Ibeto Tank Farm as well as the Department of Petroleum Resources.

However, when the bank approached Total Nigeria Plc for repayment, it was discovered that the purchase orders were forged by the accused persons.

One of the counts reads:

“That you, Ejere Kelvin Chris, Edoma Omagha, Kehinde Eliot Ogbor (at large), Danium Energy Services Limited (at large), Sibet Oil Services Limited (at large), Loveth Miyemi Ogbor (at large) and Rhombi Energy Limited (at large) sometime between the months of January, 2017 and February, 2017 at Lagos, within the jurisdiction of this honourable court, conspired amongst yourselves to dishonestly convert and steal the cumulative sum of N7.3bn.”

The accused persons pleaded not guilty to the counts.

In view of their pleas, the prosecuting counsel, George Chia-yakua, asked the court for a date to commence trial and prayed that the accused persons be remanded in prison custody.

Counsel for the accused persons, through oral application urged the court to admit their clients to bail, but was opposed by Chia-yakua, who insisted “they must file written applications.”

Justice Nicol-Clay adjourned to July 11, 2017 for hearing of the bail applications and ordered the accused persons to be remanded in the EFCC custody.

Published in Business and Economy

Rap legend Tupac Shakur broke off a hush-hush fling with Madonna two decades ago because he thought dating the white pop star would hurt his image with his fans, a letter reveals.

The brief relationship between the two music icons only emerged two years ago, and now an auction house has put up for sale a 1995 letter from Tupac — who was shot dead just a year later — to Madonna in which the rapper breaks off the romance, saying, “I never meant to hurt you.”

“For you to be seen with a black man wouldn’t in any way jeopardize your career, if anything it would make you seem that much more open and exciting,” Tupac wrote neatly on lined paper.

“But for me at least in my previous perception I felt due to my ‘image’ I would be letting down half of the people who made me what I thought I was,” he wrote.

Tupac was apparently referring to his newfound status as a leading voice in hip-hop, with his songs frequently taking on police brutality and other issues of concern to many African Americans.

In the letter, he told Madonna he had read an interview in which the pop great said “‘I’m off to rehabilitate all the rappers and basketball players’ or something to that effect.”

“Those words cut me deep seeing how I had never known you to be with any rappers besides myself,” Tupac wrote.

The letter, first reported by the gossip site TMZ, will go on the block later this month at New York auction house Gotta Have Rock and Roll.

Shortly after the split with Madonna, Tupac went to prison on charges, which he denied, of sexually assaulting a woman in a hotel room.

Tupac, who left prison with an increasingly gangsta image, was killed the following year at age 25 in a still murky shooting in Las Vegas.

The relationship between the two music icons was not widely known until 2015 when Madonna — usually known for her openness — explained a foul-mouthed appearance two decades earlier on David Letterman’s late-night television show.

“I was dating Tupac Shakur at the time and, the thing is, he got me all riled up on life in general. So when I went on the show I was feeling very gangsta,” she told radio host Howard Stern.

Madonna in 1998 began to date English director Guy Ritchie, to whom she was married for eight years. She recently complained that she faced a double standard as a woman for taking younger lovers.

Tupac was engaged at the time of his death to designer Kidada Jones.

Published in Entertainment
Friday, 07 July 2017 00:16

Osinbajo declares support for Magu

The acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crime C omission (EFCC) Ibrahim Magu (first left) and Governor Nasir El-Rufai(right) at the commissioning of the EFCC Kaduna Zonal Office on Thursday.

Acting President Yemi Osinbajo has said that as long as he remains in office, the acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Alhaji Ibrahim Magu will continue to remain as the Commission’s boss.

The statement came 48 hours after the Senate asked the acting president to remove the EFCC boss.

Represented by the Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, at the commissioning of the Kaduna zonal office of the EFCC, Professor Osinbajo said he had the same confidence and conviction President Muhammadu Buhari had about Magu’s capability to function effectively in the office of the EFCC.

Osinbajo said: “Shortly before the President left the country, I asked him about Ibrahim Magu and the President said he believes in what he is doing. He has his support. I want to also affirm here that Magu has my support. As far as I remain the acting President, Magu remains”.

EFCC boss, Magu in an address urged the Federal Government to immediately embark on the building of a prison in Sambisa forest for those arrested and convicted of corruption.

However, he explained that for the prison to become a reality, the judiciary arm of government should cooperate with the Commission.

He said that illegal monies are likely to be abandoned by corrupt persons at the nation’s airport and other places in near future as it happened at Kaduna airport some few months ago. Magu warned that if concerted efforts were not made to rid the country of corruption, the monster will infest the citizens and adversely affect the nation’s economy.

Said he: “We want to call for the establishment of a prison in Sambisa forest in order to keep away corrupt people from our midst. In this case, the judiciary has direct influence to help in the fight against corruption. But concerted efforts are being made by some big Nigerians to neutralise the fight against corruption”.

“We must change the narrative by fighting back those that do not want the fight to succeed. I remain committed to the fight against corruption, and I commend the Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai for encouraging EFCC to establish a zonal office in Kaduna. We must, therefore, join hands together to kill corruption before corruption will kill us”.

Meanwhile Speaking in his capacity as the Kaduna state governor, El-Rufai disclosed that the anti-graft agency had helped his government to recover over N500m from immediate past government officials who had milked the treasury.

He said the state government is ready to provide land for the EFCC training school in the state as well as for the building of their staff quarters.

Earlier, a member of the Presidential Advisory Committee, Professor Femi Odekunle pointed out that the presidential committee is behind Magu for his commitment in the fight against corruption.

Odekunle said, “We are not going to be cajoled by any technicalities. We will support the commission because most of our leaders are corrupt”.

Published in Headliners
Super Eagles first choice goalkeeper, Carl Ikeme is to begin chemotherapy after being diagnosed with acute leukaemia.
 
The 31-year-old Nigerian returned “abnormal blood tests” during pre-season testing and further checks confirmed the diagnosis.
 
Ikeme has been with Wolves for his entire career, making more than 200 appearances for Wanderers.
 
Thirty-three of those came last season, having previously been in the team that won the League One title in 2013-14.
 
“It would be an understatement to say that everyone at Wolves has been shocked and saddened to hear the news of Carl’s diagnosis,” said Wolves managing director Laurie Dalrymple.
 
“That relates to both players and staff as Carl has been at the club for a very long time and remains such an integral personality within the group.
 
“At the same time, we all know what a fighter and a competitor Carl is, and I have no doubt that he will take all of those attributes into this battle.
 
“Similarly, its goes without saying that Carl and his family will receive the full love and support that we at Wolves can provide – we are all with him every single step of the way towards a full recovery.”
Published in Sports
Tuesday, 04 July 2017 15:04

Senate to Osinbajo: Remove Magu now

The Senate on Tuesday demanded that the acting President Yemi Osinbajo must obey the resolutions of the Senate, including the immediate removal of the acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu.

It also suspended all confirmation of appointments until compliance with its resolution.

Recall that the Chairman of the EFCC, who was appointed in Acting capacity by President Muhammadu Buhari on November 9, 2015, has consistently been rejected by the Senate.

Upon his appointment, Magu said he was committed to the anti-corruption war, drawing a connection between the economic challenges facing the country and the endemic corruption in the country.

 
Published in Business and Economy

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Monday released a timetable for the recall of Senator Dino Melaye (APC-Kogi West) from the Senate in spite of a lawsuit instituted by the senator to stop the Commission from proceeding with the process.

According to the timetable, the process will begin on July 10 with notice of verification of constituents to be posted at INEC’s Lokoja office and end on August 19 with the conduct and announcement of the outcome of the verification of the constituents who want the senator out of the Senate.

The constituents of the senatorial district on June 21 submitted a petition to INEC demanding Melaye’s recall, citing his “abysmal performance” at the Nigerian Senate and as their reason. The senator was also accused of distancing himself from his constituents.

“For the past two years, Senator Melaye has not organised one town hall meeting anywhere in Kogi West to meet with the people to present his scorecard or stewardship,” Leader of the constituents, Chief Cornelius Olowo, told State-run News Agency of Nigeria shortly after submitting the petition for the recall to INEC.

“He has been completely disconnected from the people. Since he won his election and the legal battle at the court, he is no longer reachable.

“He has no constituency office in Kogi West as we speak, as a way to reach him on the matter of interests from the people that elected him,” Olowo said.

But the Senator insisted the petition against him was sponsored by agents of the Kogi State Government because of his criticisms of Governor Yahaya Bello’s administration.

Melaye also alleged that they claimed to have gotten over 188,000 signatories of electorates in Kogi West when the total vote cast, both valid and rejected, in the last senatorial election of 2015, was merely 111, 000 for all the candidates that participated.

“This recall exercise was hatched in Kogi Government House due to the manner in which Senator Dino Melaye consistently challenges and engages the government over non-payment of workers’ salaries and pensioners for over 15 months; and also the constant closure of tertiary institutions,” he stated.

Published in Headliners

The beautiful Natasha Salifyanji Kaoma campaigns for girl's empowerment in Zambia through the use of disposable/ re-usable menstruation pads. She solicits for and distributes these menstrual pads to girls and young women in Zambia through her Foundation called Copper Rose Zambia, whose motto is: Beautiful. Valuable. Empowered.

Kaoma is a woman of many parts. She studies Medicine and Surgery (MBChB) at University of Zambia; is Global University Ambassador at Milky Way Youth Movement; is Associate Fellow at Royal Commonwealth Society; and she also studied Women's Leadership at University of Delaware.

Kaoma was recently recognized for her pioneering work in Zambia girl's/ young women menstrual hygiene empowerment at Buckingham Palace, as one of 60 people from around the world selected as 'Queen's Young Leader.'

Her comments: "I was privileged to have been one of the 60 people from around the world to be selected as a Queens Young Leader, the ONLY ZAMBIAN!! and i got to meet the Queen Elizabeth herself whom I spoke to about my work and my drive. And YESS! i sat next to her in the group picture too. I also got to speak to Prince Harry and former Prime minister Sir John Major and other high profile leaders about my work in Zambia.

"It's taken me some time to process what has happened in the past few weeks...Mostly because this is award is not for me, its for all the people in my organization Copper Rose Zambia who work tirelessly to ensure that we reach out to as many girls and women as possible. This award is dedicated to all the women and girls who are not living to their potential, this is a testimony that nothing is impossible.

"I would like to thank God almighty, for this vision that he has put in my heart to improve the lives of millions of african women, my best friends F & S, my parents and family members, all our donors and supporters of our work, my mentors who tell me which way i should go, the Zambian high commission in UK, the British High Commission in Zambia, all the local and international change makers who continue to raise the bar and show me i can do much more in this environment. I salute you all.

"Everytime i look at these pictures and at this award, i am reminded that the work has only just began, 990 000 women and girls are still waiting to be empowered by 2021.
"Do your best, be your best, be as selfless as you can be, the rest will follow" N.S.K
Outfit: Lyn Callander
Purse: Christina Mbalose Lungu
#Queensyoungleaders #Impossibleisnothing #CopperroseZambia#MenstruationMatters #beautiful #valuable #empowered

Chiquemagazine.com congratulates Kaoma on her wonderful achievement for herself, for her family, for Zambia and for Africa.

Natasha 1 Natasha 2 Natasha 3 Natasha 4 Natasha 5 Natasha 6 Natasha 7 Natasha 8 Natasha 9 Natasha 10 Natasha 11 Natasha 12 Natasha 13

Published in News & Stories
Page 7 of 9

Newsletter