Saturday, 04 July 2020
Items filtered by date: June 2020

By Natasha Donn

Published in Headliners

The National Working Committee of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) said that Victor Giadom, the pretender to the chairmanship is not competent to summon the APC NEC meeting.

Mr. Hilliard Etta, National Vice-Chairman (South south) of APC who is standing in for acting National Chairman Senator Abiola Ajimobi said Giadom, lacks the legal and the constitutional backing to call a NEC meeting of the party.

He added that the membership of Chief Giadom has been suspended by a competent court of jurisdiction in Port Harcourt, Rivers State and as such, he is no longer of the APC NWC.

But Etta also condemned reference to Ajimobi-led NWC as a faction of the NWC. “It is not right to refer to 17 members, with 15 of them physically present and two who met with us virtually as a faction. This is the National Working Committee of the APC.

“When you call him (Giadom) factional acting Chairman, we wonder why,” Eta said

Further dismissing attempt by Giadom to convene a NEC meeting of the party, Etta noted that Article 25B(i and ii) of the APC Constitution (2014 as amended) gives the conditions precedent to summoning a NEC meeting.

He cited the articles as:

“The National Executive Committee shall meet every quarter and or at any time decided by the National Chairman or at the request made in writing by at least two-thirds of the members of the National Executive Committee provided that not less than fourteen days’ notice is given for the meeting to be summoned.

“Without prejudice to Article 25(B)(i) of this Constitution, the National Working Committee may summon an emergency National Executive Committee meeting at any time, provided that at least seven days’ notice of the meeting shall be given to all those entitled to attend”.

Giadom had before the press conference addressed by Etta on Tuesday issued a notice of NEC meeting for Wednesday at 12pm at an unnamed venue.

He claimed that he has the support of President Buhari for the meeting which will be held online and and at the presidential villa.

The notice by Giadom reads: “I Chief Victor Giadom, having been duly authorised by Court Order to Act as national chairman of our great party and to preside over all meetings of the NWC and NEC hereby and with the consent of the President Muhammadu Buhari, (who is the leader of our Party) reconvene the NEC meeting that was earlier billed to hold on the 17th of March, 2020, but was postponed.

“The reconvened meeting shall hold on Thursday, June 25th, 2020.

“In keeping strictly to the COVID-19 Guidelines, the postponed NEC shall hold by virtual means.

“The codes would be sent by text to the phone numbers of all NEC members”.

Published in Business and Economy

By Abankula/ PM NEWS

Ms Seyitan Babatayo, who alleged that Nigerian singer, D’banj raped her in a hotel room two years ago, has now made a criminal complaint to the police.

She said D’banj, whose full name is Oladapo Daniel Oyebanjo barged into her hotel room on 30 December 2018.

In her words: “D’banj gained access into my hotel room at past midnight while I was asleep. He violated and raped me”.

In a bombshell press statement, Seyitan said she filed the criminal complaint at the Gender Desk of Lagos Police Command Headquarters in Ikeja on 22 June.

She said the complaint was filed after she tried unsuccessfully to lodge same at the Bar Beach Police Station in Victoria Island on 6 June.

Seyitan said the attempt was thwarted by a police officer.

She spoke about her ordeal on 16 June, when she was arrested by four police officers and detained in a cell for 48 hours, like a criminal at Harold Sodipo Police Station in Ikeja.

She was charged with no offence, upon her release, after signing a gag order by the police and D’banj team.

Since then, the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu has ordered an investigation into her case.

Similarly, the Lagos State Attorney-General also wrote the Commissioner of Police in Lagos to investigate the case.

Upon all that Seyitan said she has now gotten the services of a law firm in Abuja to handle her case.

Read Seyitan’s Bombshell Statement:

Published in Headliners

Almost all the U.S. tech firms, from Google to Amazon, Twitter and Facebook have condemned the latest visa ban announced by President Donald Trump.

They said the freeze would make the US less competitive.

Trump on Monday banned new H-1B visas, used by major companies to bring over highly-skilled engineers from abroad.

Around 18,000 H1-B visas were given to Google and Apple last year.

Trump said he did it to create jobs for Americans hurting economically due to the pandemic.

However, the tech companies said the policy was a bad one.

Amazon said the measures ‘put America’s global competitiveness at risk’.

The CEO of file-sharing firm Box dubbed it ‘unbelievably bad policy’.

A Facebook spokesperson said it will be even more difficult’ for the US to recover after coronavirus because of the measures.

An Amazon spokesperson told Business Insider: ‘Preventing high skilled professionals from entering the country and contributing to America’s economic recovery puts America’s global competitiveness at risk.’

CEO of Alphabet – Google’s parent company – Sundar Pichai tweeted: ‘Immigration has contributed immensely to America’s economic success, making it a global leader in tech, and also Google the company it is today.

“Disappointed by today’s proclamation – we’ll continue to stand with immigrants and work to expand opportunity for all.”

Box founder and CEO Aaron Levie wrote that Trump’s measures are ‘unbelievably bad policy on every level. It will only mean more jobs move outside the US, and in no way makes America better or more competitive.’

Reports said that the country most hit by the ban is India.

Indians take up nearly 70% of the 85,000 H-1B visas issued every year. And the ban is expected to hurt Indian technology companies and workers.

The visa is useful for Indian tech giants like Wipro, Infosys and Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) as it allows them to send workers from India to manage important projects.

It also helps US tech giants like Google, Facebook and Twitter hire talent from India.

The ban announced by Mr Trump will only affect individuals who are planning to apply for the visa – which means those who have already got it and are working in the US will not be affected.

However, H-1B visa holders who travelled to their home countries due to the pandemic will not be allowed to re-enter the US until the end of the year.

Published in News & Stories

Adeyinka Akintunde/ The Nation

Nigeria has recorded 675 new cases of the Coronavirus

According to a tweet from the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Monday night, the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Nigeria is now 20,919, with 7,109 persons discharged.

The breakdown of figures recorded according to states is as follows:

Lagos-288 Oyo-76 Rivers-56 Delta-31 Ebonyi-30 Gombe-28 Ondo-20 Kaduna-20 Kwara-20 Ogun-17 FCT-16 Edo-13 Abia-10 Nasarawa-9 Imo-9 Bayelsa-8 Borno-8 Katsina-8 Sokoto-3 Bauchi-3 Plateau-2

525 persons have so far lost their lives in Nigeria due to Coronavirus, the tweet said.

675 new cases of ;

Lagos-288
Oyo-76
Rivers-56
Delta-31
Ebonyi-30
Gombe-28
Ondo-20
Kaduna-20
Kwara-20
Ogun-17
FCT-16
Edo-13
Abia-10
Nasarawa-9
Imo-9
Bayelsa-8
Borno-8
Katsina-8
Sokoto-3
Bauchi-3
Plateau-2

20,919 confirmed
7,109 discharged
525 deaths

View image on Twitter

Published in Headliners

Nicholas Kalu, Abuja/ The Nation

The Nigeria Police has arrested a 54-year old man, Chukwudi Odo, for allegedly luring a 40-year old Filipino woman, Irene Panas, to Nigeria through Facebook and keeping her incommunicado for months.

She was allegedly sexually molested and money extorted from her while she was held.

Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Frank Mba, who paraded Odo alongside other suspects at the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) headquarters in Abuja on Monday, said the woman who flew all the way from Manila in the Philippines to Abuja, came in an apparent unsuccessful search for love.

He said the woman, who was held in Enugu State, was successfully rescued by operatives of the State Police Command at Neke-Uno Village, Enugu East local government area, following a tip off.

“The Philippino was rescued six (6) months after she arrived Nigeria from the Philippines in an apparent but unsuccessful search for love.

“Irene Torento Panas, an Accountant by profession and a native of Manila in the Philippines arrived Nigeria in November 22, 2019 on a visit to one Chukwudi Odo ‘m’ 54yrs of Enugu Ezike in Igbo-Eze North LGA of Enugu State whom she met on Facebook on 8th March, 2017.

“The visit which was originally intended to be for 10-days however turned out to be a full case of abduction following Chukwudi Odo’s refusal to allow her return to her country against her will. She was held incommunicado by the suspect, Chukwudi Odo.

“The victim who was critically ill at the time of rescue was successfully rescued by police operatives attached to the Unity Police Division, Ibegwa Nike, Enugu State led by the DPO, SP Siga Malgwi, following a tip-off from some members of the public in the area. She was immediately taken to the hospital for medical attention where she was admitted from 5th June to 16th June.

“Preliminary investigations reveal that the suspect, Chukwudi Odo deliberately lured the victim into the country with the aim of confining her, sexually abusing, and extorting money from her.”

The IGP, while enjoining members of the public to tread cautiously in their use of the social media, warns against any abuse of the cyberspace noting that such criminal acts will not go undetected and unpunished by the Force.

Meanwhile, the Force is already in contact with the Embassy of the Philippines in Nigeria so as to reunite the victim with members of her family,” Mba said.

Odo confirmed that he met the woman on Facebook in 2017 and they became friends and were keeping in touch on the social media platform until he invited her to Nigeria last year.

Odo said he was planning to marry the woman.

He said he has been married before but was separated from his wife.

He said he doesn’t have children.

“I met Irene on Facebook on March 8, 2017. I added her and sent her a message and she responded and we became friends on Facebook. Then we became familiar with each other and was in touch with each other. From 2017 to 2019. In 2017 we had agreed to marry each other. And she was working in Dubai at that time. And then she told me to have patience with her until 2019. Then she would come and live with me in Nigeria or I have an option of coming to live with her in Philippines.

“I told her for now I would not leave to another country and then I told her I was financially handicapped and being that we are in touch with one another despite the distance that we should try and save some to sustain,” he said

According to PM News:

Filipina, Irene Torento Panas, who arrived Nigeria on 22 November 2019 to meet her Facebook lover, ended up a victim of abduction for for more than six months.

Irene’s lover Chukwudi Odo turned out to be a monster.

He turned her into a sex slave, squeezed her for money and locked her up in his home in Neke-Uno Village, Enugu East LGA, making her incommunicado.

A romantic journey that was to last 10 days, became more than a six-month nightmare for the Filipino.

Her ordeal ended 5 June, when the police rescued her and arrested her abductor and tormentor.

She was critically ill, the police said today.

“She was immediately taken to the hospital for medical attention where she was admitted from 5th June to 16th June”.

In a statement today, the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, cautioned users of the social media, using 40 year-old Irene’s case as a lesson.

Here is Irene’s story as told by the police:

“Irene Torento Panas, an accountant by profession and a native of Manila in the Philippines arrived Nigeria in November 22, 2019 on a visit to one Chukwudi Odo ‘m’ 54years of Enugu Ezike in Igbo-Eze North LGA of Enugu State whom she met on Facebook on 8th March, 2017.

“The visit which was originally intended to be for 10-days however turned out to be a full case of abduction following Chukwudi Odo’s refusal to allow her return to her country against her will.

“She was held incommunicado by the suspect, Chukwudi Odo.

“The victim who was critically ill at the time of rescue.

“She was successfully rescued by police operatives attached to the Unity Police Division, Ibegwa Nike, Enugu State led by the DPO, SP Siga Malgwi, following a tip-off from some members of the public in the area.

“She was immediately taken to the hospital for medical attention where she was admitted from 5th June to 16th June.

“Preliminary investigations reveal that the suspect, Chukwudi Odo deliberately lured the victim into the country with the aim of confining her, sexually abusing, and extorting money from her.

“The IGP, while enjoining members of the public to tread cautiously in their use of the social media, warns against any abuse of the cyberspace noting that such criminal acts will not go undetected and unpunished by the Force.

“Meanwhile, the Force is already in contact with the Embassy of the Philippines in Nigeria so as to reunite the victim with members of her family”.

Published in Business and Economy

By Taiwo Okanlawon/ PM News

Nigerian celebrity crossdresser, Okuneye Idris widely known as Bobrisky, has explained why he wore men’s clothes instead of the women’s clothes, wigs, and full-face makeup he is usually pictured with to his father’s birthday party on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old on Tuesday explained that he did in order not to draw attention to himself and also out of respect for his family.

A short video emerged online showing the internet personality dressed in a long black jalabia (gown), a face cap and no makeup on. This is quite unusual as he is known to wear female clothing.

Bob is known for his/her glamorous living on social media and a controversial style earned from cross dressing and dramatic nature.

Reacting to the development, he wrote: “There is absolutely nothing wrong with what I am wearing. I wore a face cap and a black Jalabia. I’m not the celebrant I don’t have to paint face to my dad house. I respect my family. Oh you think my parent don’t see my IG? mtcheew,” he wrote in reply to fan with username @princesidney24 who wanted to know why he had dressed so modestly to the party.

Published in Entertainment

President Muhammadu Buhari is currently meeting with Service Chiefs at the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The Service Chiefs, led by the Chief of Defence Staff, General Gabriel Olonisakin arrived at the seat of power at 08:50 GMT and proceeded straight to the Council Chambers.

The President and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, Muhammadu Buhari joined the meeting at 09:00 GMT and the meeting immediately went into a closed session.

The Service Chiefs are expected to brief State House Correspondents at the end of the meeting.

The meeting may be connected with the high level of insecurity in Nigeria especially in the North-East and the recent killings in some parts of Katsina and Kaduna states.

This is coming less than 24 hours after the United States Government condemned the brazen killings of civilians in Northern Nigeria.

United States urged the Buhari-led administration to intensify efforts in protecting Nigerians as well as bringing those responsible for the killings to book.

Published in Business and Economy

Nigerian Instagram celebrity, Hushpuppi arrested in Dubai was arrested neither by America’s FBI or Interpol
as widely reported in Nigeria.

On the contrary his arrest on 10 June was executed by Dubai Police.

UAE’s online newspaper, The National reported Wednesday that he was arrested on multiple fraud charges, along with 12 other accomplices.

The paper also revealed his real name as Raymond Abbas and his real age as 38 years.

His case has been referred to the Dubai public prosecution and is currently being questioned by prosecutors at the Bur Dubai section, the paper reported.

“The prosecutors have charged him for “obtaining money from others through fraudulent means.”

According to UAE National, security officers in the emirate arrested Mr Abbas and 12 others for online fraud that targets companies and individuals.

“They would send out letters from email addresses almost identical to those of legitimate companies, targeting customers of these companies, with the purpose of diverting payments to themselves,” said a senior prosecutor, quoted by the paper.

“Initial information includes that he was part of this gang which fraudulently obtained cash and cars from people.

“His statement was taken by prosecution but this is just the beginning of prosecution investigations.”

The paper also reported that Raymond Abbas is wanted for fraud crimes in Europe, the United States and Nigeria.

Mr Abbas has over two million followers on Instagram. He is known for his display of wealth on social media.

He often posts pictures with his luxury cars like Ferrari and Rolls Royce and a private jet.

Published in Headliners
Popular radio host Dan Foster is dead.

Multiple sources confirming the death of the Nigerian-American said he succumbed to COVID-19 complications today.

His death sent shockwaves down the social media.

Frank Edoho of the popular ‘Want to be a Millionaire’ show wrote: “I just got off the phone, my friend Oscar confirmed that Dan Foster has passed on.

“This is a very very dark year.

“How can I overcome this unending melancholy. Rest in Peace, dear Friend”.

JJ Omojuwa, author of DGTL handbook and influencer, reacted twice, first of all finding the news unbelievable.

“Let the Dan Foster news be a lie. Let it be a lie”, Omojuwa prayed.

Later, accepting the reality of Foster’s passage, Omojuwa tweeted a tribute:

“Dan Foster’s voice was a huge part of my growing up. His voice on Cool FM. His playfulness.

“His kindness. Long before I saw what he looked like, his voice communicated his personality in a way no picture needed to.

“This one is one loss too many. This is a really sad day.”

Foster – popularly known as The Big Dawg and Top Dawg came to Nigeria from the U.S. in 2000 to work for Cool FM.
He became an instant hit.

Foster’s mother died when he was ten.

He was thus brought up with his three siblings in Washington, D.C. by their father.

He was also partly raised in Baltimore by his grandmother.

As a teenager, Foster was rebellious.

But he soon joined the Marines.

He attended Morgan State University where he studied Broadcasting and Drama.

In the U.S. he worked for numerous radio stations.

Among them were Cathy Hughes Radio One, Mix 106.5 and Virgin Island-based WTBN.

He moved to Nigeria in 2000.

In September 2009, Foster left Cool FM for a new radio station Inspiration FM.

He left in 2014 to join City FM.

In May 2016, Dan Foster also left City FM 105.1 to join Classic FM 97.3 radio station.

He worked at Classic FM until his death.

He is survived by his wife Lovina Okpara and three children.

He had two of the kids with Lovina.

They are daughter Daniella and son Somtochukwu.

In his first marriage in the U.S. he also adopted a son.


Published in Headliners
Page 1 of 5

Xclusive Nigeria Television (XNTV)

Newsletter

- Advertisement -



Ads