Sunday, 13 June 2021

Items filtered by date: March 2021

Saturday, 27 March 2021 18:00

JUST IN: Nigeria qualifies for AFCON 2021

Nigeria have qualified for the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) scheduled for Cameroon ahead of their Match Day 5 fixture.

This happened after Sierra Leone played a goalless draw with Lesotho on Saturday.

Lesotho hosted Sierra Leone in the earlier fixture at the Setsoto Stadium in Maseru, drawing 0-0.

This meant table-toppers Nigeria with eight points have secured their 2021 AFCON ticket, while the Benin Republic with seven points can also ensure qualification.

But this will be if they get a draw against visiting Nigeria.

Sierra Leone with four points occupied the third spot on the log.

They will be counting on the Super Eagles to do them the favour of beating the Squirrels in Port Novo.

Nigeria’s victory over the Benin Republic will give the Leone Stars a slim hope of qualification heading into their penultimate round fixture.

Bottom-placed Lesotho with three points are out of the race and will be playing for pride against the Super Eagles at the Teslim Balogun Stadium in Lagos on Tuesday.

GROUP L MP W D L Pts

1. Nigeria 4 2 2 0 8

2. Benin 4 2 1 1 7

3. Sierra Leone 5 0 4 1 4

4. Lesotho 5 0 3 2 3

Published in Business and Economy

By Gowon Akpodonor/ GUARDIAN.NG

• Team Makes First Sea Voyage Since 1949
• Ahmed Musa, Gernot Rohr Speak

After two-hour voyage on the sea, players and officials of the Super Eagles landed in Porto Novo yesterday with a vow to cripple their host, Squirrels of Benin Republic in today’s games of the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier. The trip to Porto Novo through waterway from Lekki was the first time for the Super Eagles since their maiden predecessors, the famed UK Tourists, made a journey by sea from Lagos to Liverpool in August 1949.

The Nigerian contingent hit Porto Novo Jetty with much buzz, glitz and glitter yesterday afternoon in six boats.

Nigeria’s ambassador to Benin Republic, His Excellency Ambassador Olawale Awe, led mission staff to await the delegation and then accompanied the team and its officials to the Golden Tulip Hotel in Cotonou. The Super Eagles will ride by bus to Porto Novo this morning and return to the Golden Tulip after their clash with the Squirrels at the Stade Charles de Gaulle.

With three–pointer, Sierra Leone, scheduled to commence hostilities with bottom–placed Lesotho at 3pm GMT today, it means the match in southern Africa would have ended before Nigeria and Benin due to kick off at 6pm GMT. A draw in Maseru will ensure the Super Eagles are through to the finals in Cameroon.

However, the Eagles have vowed to cripple their host so as to make it a double over the Squirrels.

Team Captain Ahmed Musa said: “We are not looking at what happens in Lesotho. It is not necessary for us to bother ourselves with what they play. Our focus is to get the three points here in Porto Novo and wrap up qualification. Three points will get us to Cameroon no matter what anyone plays, and that is what we are determined to get.”

In November 2019, the Squirrels shocked the Eagles with a goal inside the first five minutes at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium in Uyo, before goals by Victor Osimhen and Samuel Kalu earned the Eagles all three points. The Eagles followed up with a 4-2 defeat of Lesotho in Maseru four days later to fly to the top of the pool, but drew in their home-and-away duels with Sierra Leone last year.

Technical Adviser Gernot Rohr said rediscovering winning mentality is important for the Eagles before going into the FIFA World Cup qualifying battles.

“I am keen for the winning mentality,” he said. “We need it very much and when we rediscover it, we must keep it.”

Qualification in Porto Novo today will guarantee Nigeria’s 19th appearance at the Africa Cup of Nations, having won three times, secured second spot (silver) four times and finished third (bronze) eight times in 18 previous participations.

The Super Eagles will be seeking their first victory in 497 days since they beat Lesotho 4-2 in Maseru in 2019. They have since gone four matches without a win, including throwing away a four-goal first have lead against Sierra Leone at home, according to Sports Village Square.

Nigeria were the opponents of Benin Republic (then called Dahomey) when they played their first ever international match on 8 November 1959.

Porto Novo, the venue of today’s AFCON qualifier was also the venue of the first ever Benin versus Nigeria match on November 8, 1959. Today’s game will be 21st encounter of both teams. Benin Republic have never beaten the Super Eagles in 20 preceding matches, with Nigeria winning 15 and drew five.

In total, Nigeria have scored 55 goals against Benin Republic. The scorer of the very first of the goals is Albert Onyeawuna in a Nigerian 1-0 triumph in Porto Novo in 1959.

Published in Headliners

By Oluwatomisin Amokeoja/ THE NATION

Super Eagles’ Alex Iwobi has tested positive for COVID-19 following mandatory tests taken alongside other players and staff members.

It was gathered that Iwobi will consequently be missing the 2021 AFCON qualifiers match against the Squirrels of Benin Republic coming up at 5 pm Saturday.

The team had been subjected to coronavirus tests before leaving Nigeria and on arrival at Porto Novo Friday.

Published in Sports

Can you present a show from your room for X365radio.com? Are you an amateur or a pro? You can also interview celebrities, and we would be happy to air your documentaries and radio drama.

This is your chance. X365radio.com, the #1 radio station in town, is looking for young, inexperienced, and ambitious university students, polytechnic students, college students and interested members of the general public, to host 10-15 minutes talk shows from their rooms on relationships, lifestyle, movies, entertainment, movies, comedy, beauty and fashion, business and economy, entrepreneurial strategies, politics, religion, worship, motivation etc.

All you need are guts, courage, ambition, a can-do-spirit, a-never-say-die attitude, your smartphone wifi. You also need to be a good conversationalist, to make your show engaging, exciting and interesting.

No experience is needed. Whether you live in Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Sierra Leone, Cote de' Ivoire, Mali, Senegal, Togo, Republic of Benin, Liberia, The Gambia, Uganda, Mozambique, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Madagascar, Namibia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, in Africa, Europe, South America, North America, in Asia, we would love to hear from you and discuss your idea for your show.

Get in touch.

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Published in News & Stories

Are you a musician, radio presenter or a dramatist? Do you have an mp3 for airplay? Or a radio drama? Or an idea for a talk show? This is your chance. X365radio.com, the New York City-based international online radio station is offering an opportunity for musicians, radio presenters and dramatists. If you are an artist, please send us your mp3 files for airplay. If you are a presenter, we would like to give you an opportunity to host your own talk show on our radio station. We invite everyone. No experience or expertise is required.

Passion is all you need. Plus an engaging personality. Clearly, you have to be a good conversationalist. If you have ever wanted to host your own show on radio, or you have a good idea for a radio program/ drama, this is your chance. Make it interesting and exciting.

It can be a two-person, three--person, four-person or even a five-person talk-show. Or drama. It can be a discussion about news events, comedy, religion, worship, politics, fashion, beauty regimen etc. Try to make it interesting and engaging. If you are a dramatist or a theatre arts person, you can host a radio drama on our radio station. Shows can be 10 minutes, 15, 20 or 30 minutes-long. All you need to make your talk show or drama is your smartphone, inside a quiet place like your room for good audio.

These opportunities are open to you where ever you live in any country of the World. No experience is required. We are looking for young or old people with passion, and a can-do-spirit. Contact us. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Published in Business and Economy

By Bolaji Ogundele, Abuja/ THE NATION

The Presidency has dispelled rumoured rift between President Muhammadu Buhari and National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.

It described the rumour as a work of media mischief makers.

In a statement by Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, the Presidency noted one of the reasons cited by authors of the rumour was the fact that Tinubu had not been frequently seen around President Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The statement, however, explained Tinubu’s distance from the State House had not been as a result of is a friction between him and Buhari but because the former Lagos governor is not a cabinet minister.

“The Presidency wishes to make it clear that there is no rift between President Muhammadu Buhari and his strong ally, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

“The President and the Asiwaju have a very strong commitment to the All Progressives Congress, APC towards bringing CHANGE and this is a commitment they have made to the Nigerian people.

“Recent reports of a rift between the two leaders of our party are false; the handiwork of some media mischief makers.

“It is quite unfortunate that certain sections of the media feed on birthing controversies, providing a nexus for naysayers who work behind the scenes planting such stories, which are absolutely false.

“This administration is aware of pessimists and cynics who willfully spread misinformation to create doubts in the minds of the people about the relationship between its leaders and whether the party will remain intact or not.

“There is no doubt that the President and the party are focused on development, peace and security, restructuring of the economy and war against corruption in the country and will not be diverted to anything else. This desperate attempt to fool the people will not succeed.

“To President Buhari, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu remains one of the most respected political leaders in the country, who has stuck to his principles in the face of all adversities.

“He was instrumental to the formation, growth and development of the APC into a formidable political party and the political alliance is waxing even stronger.

“If the Asiwaju is not a frequent face in the Aso Rock Villa, it is on account of the fact that he is not a cabinet member of this government. The fact that he is not every day around the Villa does not make him less of a friend to the President and this administration,” the statement reads.

Published in Headliners

By Evan Simko-Bednarski, CNN

(CNN)The White headmaster of a Catholic school on Long Island has resigned following reports that he had a Black student kneel in apology last month, calling it "the African way" to apologize.

The headmaster was temporarily removed from his job at St. Martin de Porres School in Hempstead, New York, over the weekend, after parent Trisha Paul went to the local press regarding her 11-year-old son's treatment at the school. The incident was first reported by the New York Daily News.
On Wednesday, the school issued a statement saying the headmaster had resigned.
"The leadership of St. Martin de Porres Marianist School continues to review the incident in question to ensure that it is never repeated again in any form," the statement read. "It is important to assure students, parents, and faculty that this incident does not reflect our long, established value of respect for the individual or the established protocols regarding student-related issues."
The school added that a new principal -- a mother of former students and certified school administrator -- would begin leading the school immediately
In an interview with CNN on Tuesday, Paul said she noticed her son seemed sad after school one day late last month. When she asked him what happened, he told her he'd been sent to the headmaster's office for working on an assignment in his Literature class during designated reading time.
Paul said her son's teacher took the assignment, tore it up, and brought her son to the headmaster's office. Once there, Paul said, the headmaster told her son to kneel before the teacher in apology.
"I was filled with all different types of emotion," Paul said. When the headmaster called a few days later to discuss dates for her son's first communion, Paul said she brought it up.
"I asked him what happened," she said. "He began to tell me a story about an African family that attended the school many years ago."
The headmaster, according to Paul, told her about a former student whose father had once told him to bow when apologizing, calling it "the Nigerian way."
"I was just at a loss for words," Paul, who along with her son is Black and of Haitian descent, told CNN. "I didn't understand the relevance."
"I was really sad and disappointed," she said, adding that she went to the school to speak with the headmaster a few days later. "I was hoping to get through to him," she said.
In his office, the headmaster told the story again, Paul said. "This time, it was 'the African way.'" She said she tried to convey to the headmaster that he'd "humiliated and degraded my son," but said she didn't feel heard.
Paul said she decided to remove her son from in-person classes, and he currently attends remotely.
"He has become extremely quiet," she said Tuesday. "His interactions with everyone -- family, friends -- has changed. He's sad. He has questions. He's just trying to cope with this."
"We are not all the same," she said. "We are not all Africans. We are not all Nigerians."
Paul said she was never notified of the disciplinary incident by the school.
"I do believe that had my son not told me about this incident, it would have been brushed under the rug," she said. "I'm hoping there's some kind of resolution where he does step down," she said of the headmaster. "I want there to be change. I want my child to be that person who makes a difference."
The headmaster, who is not being named by CNN, did not respond to requests for comment. Neither Conway nor St. Martin de Porres commented on the matter beyond the acting headmaster's public statement.
Published in Business and Economy

Women make up a large number of those killed in a deadly campaign of targeted attacks on civil society in Afghanistan by extremist groups opposed to them working outside the home.

One television station in the eastern city of Jalalabad has been forced to send all its female staff home for their own safety, after four young female employees were killed in recent months.

Published in Business and Economy

Wolverhampton Wanderers are interested in signing the Sevilla forward Lucas Ocampos at the end of the season.

The 26-year-old has been outstanding for the Spanish outfit since joining them in 2019 and Wolves are looking to strengthen their attack with the signing of the Argentine international.

Ocampos can play across the front three and he could prove to be a quality addition to the Wolves attack alongside Raul Jimenez and Pedro Neto. The 26-year-old has 7 goals and 4 assists to his name so far this season.

According to Football Insider, the player has three years left on his Sevilla contract and he has a release clause of £62 million.

Apparently, the Spanish club could sell him for much less because of the financial crisis due to the pandemic.

SL View: Upgrade on Adama Traore?

It will be interesting to see if Wolves are willing to pay big money to sign the Argentine international this summer.

The likes of Adama Traore have been quite underwhelming this season and Wolves should look to replace the Spaniard with Ocampos. Traore is an excellent dribbler but his decision making in the final third often lets him down. Ocampos on the other hand is much more efficient and he has more end product in his game.

The 26-year-old is at the peak of his powers right now and he has the quality to come in and make an immediate impact for the Molineux outfit next season.

Published in Sports

Time magazine announced on Monday that it plans on getting into the crypto market.

According to a Tweet from Time’s President Keith Grossman, the magazine and news website will begin accepting cryptocurrencies as a form of payment for digital subscriptions within the next thirty days.

The company will also be selling three of its magazine covers as non-fungible tokens, according to a report from Yahoo Finance.

Time released its first-ever NFT cover on Monday featuring the words “Is Fiat Dead?” in a nod to iconic cover designs from the past. The company is auctioning the NFT and two others on SuperRare, a digital artworks marketplace.

The move by time to enter the NFT and market comes amid a boom for the digital collectibles industry.

After Beeple’s $69 million sale of “Everydays: The First 5000 Days” NFTs have become the talk of the town. Google searches for “NFT” hit a record high over the weekend, and even musicians like Steve Aoki are entering the market selling millions worth in digital art/collectibles.

Time President Keith Grossman told Yahoo Finance’s Julia La Roche that he believes other media companies will be “very hesitant” to jump into digital currencies “beyond collectibles.”

Grossman said that his company is “very comfortable seeing the trend lines as to where this is going. And so our goal is is to get there first to get there fast. And then to be able to open it up to others.”

Bitcoin’s rise to over $60,000 per coin, before a recent pullback, has brought new attention to the digital currency market. Over the past year alone bitcoin has seen its price jump roughly 800%. And despite warnings from economists, investors, professors, and more, the digital currency continues its historic rise.

Now that institutional investors like Tesla and Square have entered the fray, major companies are far more comfortable making announcements about digital assets.

Time isn’t the only company that has begun accepting digital currencies. From Mastercardto luxury hotel chains, a slew of new businesses have decided to allow customers to pay with digital currency.

Published in News & Stories
Page 1 of 8

Xclusive Nigeria Television (XNTV)

Newsletter

- Advertisement -



Ads