NEWS AND STORIES
By Kazeem Ugbodaga/ PM News
There is no respite for Africa’s largest mega city, Lagos, as the state’s Coronavirus cases jump to 1,667, with a huge 176 new infections recorded on Friday.
On Thursday, Lagos had set a new record, raking in 183 Coronavirus infections, the highest any state has ramp up a single day.
The 176 new cases recorded by Lagos on Friday, made mockery of the 42 patients who recovered from the virus and were discharged by the state government.
The huge figures being recorded may not be unconnected with the premature easing of the Coronavirus lockdown which saw Lagosians trooping out in thousands, without maintaining social distancing.
However, Lagos could boast that it has successfully managed and discharged 448 Coronavirus cases, but it has a mountain to climb, with 1,186 active Coronavirus cases to deal with.
Earlier in the day, Commissioner for Health in Lagos, Prof. Akin Abayomi had said the state may record between 90,000 and 120,000 cases of Coronavirus by July or August when it reaches the peak.
Abayomi, spoke Friday at a news conference in Alausa, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria, where he gave an update on Coronavirus in the State.
He said the state was yet to reach the virus peak, which will likely be around July and August.
Abayomi stated that Lagos has ramp testings to reach large number of people in a bid to flatten the curve.
He attributed the increase in cases being recorded to the decentralisation of sample collection to the 20 Local Governments.
Abayomi disclosed that Alimosho, Oshodi and Isolo have begun to record more COVID-19 cases.
He, however, noted that 97 percent of positive cases at its isolation centres were mild and moderate cases.
Only three percent were severe cases.
How States Stand
A former member of House of Representatives, Ibrahim Mohammed Baba, has raised alarm that about 100 persons may have died from COVID-19 related illnesses in Azare, Bauchi state in the past one week.
He said this in a letter to President Muhammadu Buhari published on Saturday.
Baba, who represented Katagum Federal Constituency at the House of Representatives said the ravaging pandemic has killed about 100 people in the town so far, a situation he said, has resulted into panic and confusion.
He noted that the proximity of Azare to Bauchi, Kano and some major cities in Jigawa State made the people of the town susceptible to the virus.
The letter reads:
“Your Excellency, I write to draw your kind attention to the massive outbreak of Coronavirus in Azare town and environs in Bauchi State, which has already resulted in over 100 fatalities in the last one week and this has thrown the entire area into great mourning, panic and confusion.
“The centrality and proximity of Azare to Bauchi, Kano and some major cities of Jigawa State make the town’s large population susceptible to the virus due to the already existing large cases of the disease in those areas.
“Consequently therefore, I wish to appeal to your Excellency to direct the Nigeria Centre for Diseases Control and the Presidential Task force on COVID-19 to urgently reach out to Azare town with all the necessary facilities and palliatives to assist the communities there.
“And to help in this expected effort, may I draw your attention to the fact that at the Opthamology unit and laboratory have already been built and equipped by the Central Bank of Nigeria at the Azare Federal Medical Centre since 2013 but have not been commissioned and put to use up till now. This facility can be repurposed to a COVID-19 test and treatment centre provided the right equipments are added, including ventilators.
“As a matter of life and death, I have the utmost trust in your sense of patriotism and commitment to the well-being of Nigerians that you will assist the beleaguered people of Azare town and environs to overcome this harrowing situation.”
Azare, the second biggest town in Bauchi State lost one of its prominent sons on Thursday.
He was Justice Dahiru Saleh, a former federal judge, who annulled the June 12, 1993, presidential election.
Although he was over 80 years old, the retired judge was believed to have died from COVID-19 complications.
Russia posted another high figure of confirmed coronavirus cases on Saturday, the 7th day in a row.
According to the country’s health authorities, a fresh 10,817 cases were registered in the last 24 hours.
This was bigger than the 10,699 posted on Friday.
The new figure took the national total to 198,676, less than 2,000 from hitting the 200,000 mark.
However, Russia announced 104 new deaths.
The fatality toll in Europe’s new virus epicentre is now 1,867.
This is far beyond the range reported by other European countries with six-figure infections.
Germany with 170,588 infections has 7510 deaths.
Britain with 211,364 cases has the highest death toll of 31,241.
Spain, the worst-hit virus hit nation in Europe with 262,783 cases has a death figure of 26,478.
This was after reporting fresh deaths totalling 179 and new infections totalling 2,666.
On Friday, Spain posted higher figures of cases and deaths.
According to worldometers.info, there were 3,262 cases filed on Friday. The death toll same day was 229.
By Kazeem Ugbodaga/ PM News
Nigeria on Friday recorded 10 new deaths arising from the deadly Coronavirus pandemic, taking its total deaths to 117.
According to the Coronavirus reports released by the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, late Friday, Nigeria recorded 10 new deaths.
Five of the 10 deaths were recorded from Kano, which takes its overall deaths to 18.
Lagos, with 33 deaths has the highest number of fatality, while Borno has 14 deaths.
Sokoto recorded one death on Friday to take its total to nine, while Katsina has recorded eight deaths so far from the pandemic.
The Federal Capital Territory, Edo, Ogun and Osun have four Coronavirus deaths each, while Zamfara and Delta have three death cases each.
Others are: Kaduna, Oyo, Rivers and Akwa Ibom, two deaths each; while Bauchi, Jigawa, Nasarawa, Yobe and Ekiti have recorded one death each.
By Taiwo Okanlawon
Veteran Nollywood actor, Richard Mofe Damijo (RMD) has unveiled what he will look like once lockdown is completely over.
Sharing a picture of himself, the 58-year-old who has not been able to visit the barbing salon because of lockdown has given his fans a hint of what he looks like now.
RMD captioned the picture; ”Finally, when the city gates opened, after what seemed like eternity, the Nazarene came out smiling! #theendisthebeginning #itsnotoveryet #socialdistancing #takeresponsibility #rmdsaysso #rmdtheactor”
Richard Mofe Damijo remains one of the most sought after male celebrities despite his age. He has the perfect body for any type of outfit and also the most charming smile that soothes the heart.
The movie Legend was the former Commissioner for Culture and Tourism in Delta State.
Nigeria’s Supreme Court has nullified the trial of Dr. Orji Kalu, former Abia State Governor, who was convicted and sentenced to 12 years imprisonment over N7.1bn fraud and ordered a fresh trial.
In an unanimous judgment of the Supreme Court led by Justice Olabode Rhodes-Vivour, on Friday, the apex court nullified the entire trial, on the grounds that the constitution did not permit a judge elevated to a higher court to return to a lower court to conclude a part-heard case.
Justice Mohammed Idris, who had been elevated to the Court of Appeal bench, had returned to the Federal High Court in Lagos to complete the case which started in 2007.
The judge had sentenced the ex-governor to 12 years imprisonment for the fraud he allegedly perpetrated during his tenure as Abia State governor.
However, Justice Ejembi Eko, who delivered the lead judgment also declared as unconstitutional the provision of section 396(7) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015, on which the then President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Zainab Bulkachuwa (retd), relied on to authorise Justice Idris to return to the Court of Appeal to conclude the trial.
The panel unanimously directed the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court to assign the case to another judge of the court for the trial to commence afresh, the Punch reports.
By Collins Nweze
THE United States Embassy in Nigeria has confirmed the existence of another $319 million (about N124.4 billion) looted by former Head of State, the late Gen. Sani Abacha.
According to the U.S., the funds are in the United Kingdom (UK) and France.
The revelation came three days after the Federal Government received $311 million repatriated “Abacha loot” from the US and the Bailiwick of Jersey.
In a statement titled: “Return of stolen assets to the Nigerian people’, the U.S. Embassy in Nigeria revealed that there is a separate $167 million in stolen assets in France and another $152 million in the UK which is still subject to litigation.
“The funds returned last week are distinct and separate from an additional $167 million in stolen assets also forfeited in the United Kingdom and France, as well as $152 million still in active litigation in the United Kingdom.” the statement said.
The embassy gave details on the usage of the newly repatriated funds to Nigeria, disclosing that the funds will be used for three infrastructure projects in strategic economic zones across Nigeria.
It reads: “On May 1, the transfer of $311,797,876 from the United States Government to the Federal Republic of Nigeria was completed in accordance with a February 3, 2020 trilateral agreement among the governments of the United States, Nigeria and the Bailiwick of Jersey to repatriate assets the United States forfeited that were traceable to the former Nigerian dictator Sani Abacha and his co-conspirators.”
The statement by the embassy said: “These funds will be used by the Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA) for three infrastructure projects in strategic economic zones across Nigeria, as authorised by the Nigerian government.
“The recovered funds will help finance the construction of the Second Niger Bridge, the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway and the Abuja-Kano road. These investments will support Nigeria’s economic development and benefit all of the Nigerian people. The agreement includes mechanisms for monitoring the implementation of these projects as well as external oversight.
“The transfer of funds is an important first step in the disciplined implementation of the agreement. Nigeria’s continued vigilance, transparency, and accountability will ensure continued progress in the implementation. The United States looks forward to continuing to work with the Federal Republic of Nigeria and its civil society partners to combat corruption and to ensure a successful outcome in the return of these funds. The fight against corruption is an investment in the future of Nigeria.”
By Kazeem Ugbodaga
Lagos State has set a new Coronavirus record, as it ramped up 183 new infections on Thursday, the highest in a single day.
This has taken Lagos’ total figures to 1,491.
Kano had previously broken the record of 87 highest daily infections held by Lagos by raking in 92 infections.
But Lagos State shattered Kano’s record, with 183 new cases on Thursday.
This ostensibly made a mockery of the huge number of Coronavirus patients discharged by Lagos in the last few days.
Lagos had discharged 48 survivors of the pandemic on Thursday, but its biggest new infection rate calls for concern.
This may not be unconnected with the gradual easing of the lockdown in the State on Monday.
Millions of Lagosians had rushed out in large numbers, throwing social distancing into the dustbin.
Another sad news for Lagos State is that it recorded two Coronavirus deaths today.
Total number of patients discharged so far in Lagos is 406, while active cases now stand at 1,052.
Breakdown of infections on Thursday
How the states now stand:
Two COVID-19 patients receiving treatment in Oyo State as well as one each in Niger and Bauchi states have fled from isolation centres.
Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde said the two people who ran away in the state tested positive to the deadly virus.
He said 975 samples had been collected for test.
The governor said the two fleeing patients brought the number of active cases in the state to 31 instead of 33.
Makinde announced the escape of the patients while giving an update on the state’s COVID-19 figures in a series of tweets on his Twitter handle.
The tweet reads: “We have received more results from pending COVID-19 confirmation tests. The result of one suspected case came back positive on May 03, 2020. The person is based in Ibadan.
“The results of five suspected cases came back positive on May 04, 2020. Four of these five cases are immigrants and the last person is an Oyo State resident.
“The results of five suspected cases came back positive on May 05, 2020. Four of these five cases are travellers from the North and the last one is an Oyo State resident.
“Of the 33 active cases being managed by the state, two have absconded, possibly to their permanent places of residence. This brings the number of active cases in Oyo State to 31.”
The Niger State patient is a woman who absconded from the Minna isolation centre.
Health Commissioner Dr. Muhammed Makusidi spoke on Wednesday on the fleeing patient at a media briefing in Minna, the state capital.
He described the escapee as a confirmed case from Kano, saying efforts were being made to trace her whereabouts and bring her back to the centre.
The commissioner expressed fear over the danger she poses to the state if she is left to mingle with other residents.
In Bauchi, Deputy Governor Baba Tela, who is also the Chairman of the Task Force Response Committee on Lassa Fever and Coronavirus, confirmed the escape of the patient.
Coronavirus death toll in Nigeria has climbed to 103, with five new deaths recorded by the nation on Wednesday.
According to the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, five new deaths recorded on Wednesday took the nation’s death toll to 103.
Of the 103 people who died of Coronavirus, 30 of them were from Lagos, while Borno recorded 14 deaths.
Kano has recorded 13 deaths so far, after two people died on Wednesday.
Katsina and Sokoto States have recorded eight deaths each, while FCT, Edo and Osun have recorded four deaths each.
While Delta has three deaths, Ogun, Oyo, Zamfara, Akwa Ibom and Rivers have recorded two deaths each.
Kaduna, Jigawa, Yobe, Ekiti and Nasarawa, have all recorded one death each.